How old can my child be to come to Counselling?

I work with children from the age of 5 -17years of age.

What to expect from Counselling for my child?

• Your child will have an art journal in the sessions that they can use and understand the benefits of it.
• I will work together with your child to help them realise their own strengths, new coping strategies, problem solving skills and learn to manage big emotions.
• All my work is done through the use of creative arts therapy, sandplay therapy and a combination of ‘talking’ therapies.
• When there are new strategies to try at home or schools parents will be informed to support them in this.
• I am able to check in with teachers at schools and other professionals if needed.

What sort of contact will my child’s Counsellor have with me after the session

I will have regular contact with the parent/carer by phone/email to discuss how I feel their child is going and my observations. The sessions with your child are confidential but if I have any concern that your child is at risk I would talk to you immediately. I encourage parents to call me with any concerns or questions about their child.

What support can you offer a parent?

Counselling is available to a parent if they feel they are in need to discuss concerns or challenges going on. An initial parent counselling session is had before counselling starts with your child to get more understanding of your concerns and make a better assessment of your child's needs. As stated in previous question, I offer phone/email support to parents.

How do I know that you are a Professional Counsellor?

It important to know that you are confident that your Counsellor has training, substantial experience and is a credible member of counselling associations. I have a Degree in Human Services, Graduate Diploma in Experiential and Creative Arts Therapy, a Certificate in Sandplay Therapy and an Emotional Freedom Techniques Practitioner. I am a member of Australian Counselling Association (ACA) and Australian New Zealand and Asian Creative Arts Therapies Association (ANZCATA). I follow their membership ethics; I complete professional development yearly and have professional supervision. You will find me on the registers of both ACA and ANZACATA. I have a current Working with Children Check and Professional Indemnity and Public liability Insurance.